Cycling in Iowa
Wondering where to ride your bike in Iowa? Curious about an upcoming race or event? Check here for the latest info.
The City of Ames, Iowa State University Public Safety, and Skunk River Cycles encourages all cyclists to register their bicycles with Iowa State Public Safety. In the unfortunate event that your bike is stolen, licensing your bike will allow local authorities to more easily track down your bike and return it to you. The bicycle license is good for as long as you own the bike and is accepted registration on Campus and In Ames. Best of all it's FREE!
*Remember to use your current address because that is the address that Iowa State Public Safety will send the bike license.
Places to Ride
There are plenty of places to ride your bike around central Iowa. Here are a few of our favorite rides. Click on the links for more information and maps:
- Ames! Here's a map of all the bike paths and bike friendly streets.
- The Heart of Iowa Nature Trail from Slater to Melbourne
- The High Trestle Trail from Woodward to Ankeny
- The Raccoon River Valley Trail from Des Moines to Jefferson
- McFarland Park (just north of Ames)
- Peterson Pits (also just north of Ames)
- The Skunk River Greenbelt from north of Ames to just south of Story City
- Chichaqua Valley Trail from Bondurant to Baxter
- Visit the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation trails site